Currently the main focus of my work has been on developing a web portal that allows users to control hosting based services, and automates the provisioning, so there is mininal work to be done manually. We recently deployed a new version of the front-end, which incorporated extensive use of jQuery as well as AJAX to give the site a more modern look, as well as improving it’s usability. The main issue that we found once we had deployed the software is that it resulted in some very slow load times, so I spent a few days working doing what I could to increase the performance of the site. After all, a site might be fantastic, but if it’s not quick, people aren’t going to use it.
Luckily my boss has given me permission to share some of the benefits of my research both here and on the companies blog. The versions I write here will contain a slightly slimmed down version of the original posts.